Skip to main content

Financial Support

When you leave care you may be able to access some financial support to assist you. This support can include:

  • Providing a setting up home grant of £2000 to purchase essential items for your home. Your PA will support you to access this money.

  • Support you to open a bank account

  • Being exempt from council tax payments until you are 25 years old.

  • Providing discretionary payments in an emergency

  • Providing a financial gift on birthdays, Christmas or another festival of your choice.

  • Support you to access your junior ISA if you have one. (For more information speak to your PA)

  • Incentive payments if you are in education, training or volunteering.

  • Providing you with a passport, driving licence and birth certificate before you reach 18.

  • Providing financial assistance while your benefits are being processed if you have not received an advance payment from the Job Centre.

  • Providing food parcels for those in crisis form the HUB and referring you to other food banks in the local community.

We recognise that managing money can be difficult especially when you are doing it for the first time. We will provide you with support and advice to try and help you with this.

This includes:

  • Money matters and ‘Get ready for adult life course’s run at the HUB by GMYN.

  • One to one budgeting sessions with your PA

Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.

This page was last updated on: 02/09/2019