Skip to main content

Transitions into adulthood

What does this mean?

When a young person reaches 18 the responsibility for providing social care support transfers from Children's Services to the Communities & Wellbeing department.

A transition into adulthood plan should be made before the young person's 18th birthday to reflect their needs and wishes for education, training, leisure and employment. This should include social care support to enable them to pursue their goals and to live more independently if appropriate.

When a young person reaches adulthood the services provided may change. This could mean that they are no longer eligible for the same services, or that more services are needed to support their carer.

Who can get this support?

When a young person with a physical or learning disability, or with sight or hearing problems, becomes 18 and needs practical help they can ask us to look at their social care needs as an adult. In order to work out just what these needs are, we do need to carry out an assessment.

This assessment is a thorough discussion with the young person and with parents or carers. This may also involve gathering information from other professionals who work with them and know their situation well.

How much does it cost?

You should be aware that some adult services may have to be paid for, but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. You may be able to get help with the costs and we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.  

We may provide or arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Personal Budget and use the money that you receive from us to arrange your own support.

How to get in touch

If you already receive services as a young person then please speak to your Social Worker. If not, and you are under 18 years, the Children and Young People's Team should be your first point. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 0161 253 5652.

If you are 18 or over and you have no Social Worker, then Adult Care Services should be your first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (Except Wednesdays 10am - 5pm) on 0161 253 5151.

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then maybe follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.

This page was last updated on: 08/05/2019