Skip to main content

Residential Placements for People with Learning Disabilities

What is available?

Residential placements provide accommodation for people with learning disabilities,  who need a different type of support than can be provided at home.

Different types of residential placements are available to meet individual needs and different levels of disability.

Who can get a placement?

Residential placements are available for people over the age of 18 with learning disabilities and complex needs that require more specialised services.

They are also available for people with learning disabilities who require extra support  on a temporary basis. A customer who has sustained an injury such as a broken limb, might require a residential placement for a short period of time until they recover and regain their independence.

In order to work out what your particular needs are and whether a residential placement is the best way to meet them, we do need to carry out an assessment.

After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the complexity of your situation.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on the type of residential placement and the level of care needed.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible. You will need to fill in a financial assessment form and provide evidence of your financial circumstances to see if you qualify for financial help.  You will need to sign the form agreeing to meet the charges towards the cost of your services.

We have to take into account any pensions or wages you receive, Pension Credit, Income Support and any other DWP benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home. We do not count Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance as part of your income.

How to get in touch

The Communities & Wellbeing Team is the first point of contact for referrals and general enquiries regarding this service. You can contact them at Connect and Direct using the link on the right of this page.

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.

This page was last updated on: 01/08/2017