Skip to main content

Paying for Residential and Nursing Home Care

What are the charges?

If you have to go into a residential or nursing home, the cost is going to be one of the things that concern you most. There are a number of residential and nursing homes in Bury and all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care that you need.

You need to contact them directly to find out how much each of these homes charge.  Most importantly we will tell you how we work out how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of staying in a residential or nursing home.

Please do remember that this information will only act as a guide and that in some circumstances different rules will apply. However we will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges.

Will I have to pay?

Everyone has to pay something towards their stay in a residential home. How much that is will depend on your personal circumstances.  You will be asked to provide details of your financial circumstances and we will work out how much you will have to pay. This is called a Client Contribution.

However, if you have savings of over £23,250.00, or you do not want to give us details of your finances, you will have to pay the full cost of your stay.   

What if I am only going for a short stay?

You will be required to pay a client contribution towards the cost of your stay in the same way as permanent residents, however an additional allowance could be made for certain household expenses such as rent, mortgage, Council Tax, water and buildings insurance.  You will be asked to provide details about these expenses.

Will I have to pay for nursing care?

The NHS will pay towards the cost of your nursing care if you are in a registered nursing home.

From April 2019 the NHS will pay:

  • The standard rate of £165.56 each week,
  • The high band of £227.77 each week.

You will still have to pay a contribution for residential care and accommodation charges and this will be worked out in the normal way.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible. You will need to fill in a financial assessment form and provide evidence of your financial circumstances to see if you qualify for financial help.  You will need to sign the form agreeing to meet the charges towards the cost of your services.

We have to take into account any pensions or wages you receive, Pension Credit, Income Support and any other DWP benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home. We do not count Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance as part of your income.

We also have to take into account any savings you may have. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

Will I have to sell my house?

We will not count the value of your home if any of the following apply:

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 18 you are financially responsible for continues to live there
  • Other special circumstances.

However, if there are no special circumstances we do have to take into account the value of your house when deciding how much you should pay for your residential or nursing home care. If you need help or advice then please get in touch.

Deferred Payments Scheme

If the value of your home is included in the financial assessment of your client contribution of care home fees & you have other savings of less than £23,250.00, you may be eligible to join the Deferred Payments Scheme.  This Scheme has been designed to help you to pay the care home fees whilst most of your money is the value of the property. 

You will be financially assessed based on your income and other capital and be required to pay this amount when invoices are sent.

If you are eligible for this scheme Bury Council will pay the difference between your initial financial assessment and the cost of the care home for you.  This is called the Deferred Debt.  If you meet the criteria for this scheme you will be required to complete a Legal Agreement and agree that Bury Council can place a Legal Charge on the property with the Land Registry to secure the value of this Deferred Debt (Loan).  You will also be required to pay Administration Fees and Interest Charges as part of this Scheme.

The money we pay on your behalf will need to be repaid when you sell your property or as part of the administration of your Estate.

We will write to you with further details of this Scheme and an Application Form if your property is to be included in the financial assessment.

It maybe that this scheme is not the best option for you, therefore we would strongly recommend that you seek independent financial and legal advice about your personal circumstances.

You can download the following further details of the Deferred Payments Scheme from the attached Links;

  • Deferred Payments Scheme Policy
  • Deferred Payments Scheme Factsheet 6
  • Deferred Payments Scheme Sample Agreement
  • Deferred Payments Scheme Application Form

What if the Care Home I chose is more expensive?

The Council pays a standard weekly rate for care home fees.  If you choose a care home that charges more than this the additional fee is called a Top-Up Fee. 

You can only pay this additional fee yourself in certain circumstances.  This may be if you have agreed to a Deferred Payment Scheme Agreement and there is enough equity in the property to cover the additional fees.  This is known as a “First Party Top-Up”.  The Top-Up Fee will be paid on your behalf and added to the Deferred Debt to be repaid when the property is sold.

In most circumstances the additional Top-Up Fee has to be paid by a “Third Party” This could be a relative or friend.  They will be required to sign a Legal Agreement to confirm that they will pay the additional fees from their own money.

You can download the Residential Care Top-Up Policy from the attached links for further information about this.

National Fraud Initiative

The Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. Key personal identifiers may be shared with other organisations responsible for auditing and administering public funds.  For further information please see

Useful Contacts

Bury Council, Communities and Wellbeing Dept, Personalisation and Support Business Team (PSBT).
Address: First Floor, 3 Knowsley Place, Duke Street, Bury BL9 0EJ
Phone: 0161 253 7438

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Bury Council is committed to ensuring that we are transparent about the ways in which we use personal information and that we have the right controls in place to ensure it is used responsibly and is kept from inappropriate access, theft or misuse.  For further information please see

Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.

This page was last updated on: 18/02/2020