Skip to main content



Your Personal Adviser will support you to find suitable accommodation. This might include:

Staying Put  -  if this is what you and your foster carers want we will support you to remain in you placement under what is called a ‘Staying Put’ placement. This can continue until you are 21. See Bury Staying Put policy for more details (this policy can be accessed as a download on the left hand side of this page).

Semi-independent accommodation - You can access semi-independent accommodation if you are not ready or don’t want your own tenancy. Your Social Worker and PA are available to provide you with guidance, advice and information in relation to your accommodation options.

Supported Lodgings - this is accommodation within a family home. The young person is provided with their own bedroom and must be engaged in education, employment or training. Support is provided informally by the host family. The young person is expected to make a contribution towards living costs and purchase their own food for lunches and evening meals. 

Children’s HEN - this consists of tenancies provided by the Department of Communities and Wellbeing for the sole use of Children’s Services. The accommodation for 16 and 17 year olds consists of one and two bed social housing properties within Bury. The HEN team provide Low level tenancy related support.

House of multiple occupancy - these are run by private providers across Bury, these properties usually accommodate between two and four care leavers and are staffed 24/7.  The higher staffing ratio provides for more intense support for semi-independent care leavers to engage with services and appointments as well as the development of their independence skills and occasional assistance with transport. Children Services will fund this type of placement up to a maximum of 18years of age.

Independent living options, Social Housing and Private Tenancies

Your Personal Adviser will help to you to consider whether you are tenancy ready and will provide you with support to make decisions about your housing. This might include:   

  • Supporting you to complete a housing application. As a care leaver in Bury you will have an automatic priority status on the housing waiting list and will be placed in to band 2. There is a commitment from Bury Council to increase this offer to band 1 when you have been assessed as being ready for your own tenancy. This offer is currently pending and the offer will be updated once it has been confirmed. Access to a tenancy ready course is available for you to access and is run three times a year at the HUB with support from housing. A ‘get ready for adult life course’ is also run at the HUB by the Greater Manchester Youth Network twice a year. This course is accredited which means you can gain qualifications as well as developing your independence skills.

  • Practical support including linking you up with an independent visitor who can support you with moving into, furnishing and decorating your own tenancy.

  • Support with claiming housing benefit/Universal credit.

  • We know it can be very hard having your own place for the first time. We will do whatever we can to ease the pressures on you. In Bury Care leavers are exempt from paying council tax until age 25.

  • Bury Council will never make care leavers intentionally homeless

If you wish to apply for Social Housing in another Local Authority you will have to provide evidence of a local connection. Your PA will be able to provide you with advice, guidance and support throughout this process.

Alternatively, you may wish to secure a private let but please be aware that the Local Authority cannot act as a Guarantor for any private rental arrangements, however, your PA will be able to provide you with a reference if you are assessed as being tenancy ready and information, advice and guidance on accessing Housing related financial support and benefits.

Support in a crisis

We understand that at times young people may have a housing crisis. In these circumstances we will work closely with the housing team to try and find you temporary accommodation while more permanent accommodation can be found. More information regarding this is available from your PA or you can contact the housing department directly on 0161 253 5251 and ask to speak to the duty worker.

Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.

This page was last updated on: 04/12/2019