What is Special Educational Needs and Disability SEND?
A child or young person has special educational needs (SEN) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child or young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of other of the same age, or they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the facilities normally available for other children.
Overview: Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn. They can affect their:
- behaviour or ability to socialise, for example they struggle to make friends
- reading and writing,
- ability to understand things
- concentration levels,
- physical ability
Strategy and Policy Information
- Joint Commissioning Strategy (SEND) 2019 - 2022
- Bury's Co-Production Strategy and Charter
- SEND Strategy - Plan on a Page
- Bury Local Transformation Plan for Children and Young People's Mental Health and Wellbeing 2015 -2020 (16/17 refresh)
- Bury Council & Bury CCG Joint Commissioning Statement
- Changes to the Special Educational Needs System - Everything You Need to Know
- Bury Thresholds and Guidance for SEND Support and Statutory Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
- Local Area Inspection of the effectiveness of SEND in Bury Council
- SEND Local Offer OfSTED re-visit 13th - 15th May 2019
- Re-visit of Bury Ofsted/CQC SEND services Report May 2019
- Bury JSNA
- Complaints about most council services
- Healthwatch Bury
- Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Making Your Life Easier
- Radar National Key Scheme
- Changing Places
- The Max Card
CEA Card - The CEA Card is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA). The Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema.