Don’t Be The 1 - Stop Smoking Campaign
‘Don’t Be The 1’ is a large-scale integrated mass media campaign launching across Greater Manchester from February 5, 2018.
- One in two long term smokers will die from a smoking related disease - some of them in their 40s. How would your family cope if you’re the one?
- It’s never too late for you to quit smoking. If you quit you reduce the risks.
- There are more options to help you quit than ever before - from electronic cigarettes to stop smoking medicines, as well as stop smoking services where you can get face-to-face support.
Right now you might have noticed a lot of stop smoking adverts on TV. If you smoke, it is possible that these may have made you think it is time to quit, once and for all.
It is a shocking fact that smoking will kill one in two lifelong smokers, but the good news is that quitting at any age brings huge benefits and reduces your risks.
Here are some of the benefits:
- Your risks of cancer, heart, disease, COPD or stroke will decrease from the moment you quit.
- Smoking is expensive and you might be surprised at how it all adds up. You could save anywhere between £160 - £250 each month.
- Your sense of taste will return and you will enjoy the taste of food more. Your breathing and general fitness will improve.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve.
- Your fertility levels will improve, along with your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and baby.
If you are just getting started, there are more options than ever before in Bury - from electronic cigarettes to stop smoking medicines, as well as services where you can either get face-to-face support or pop into a local drop-in session near where you live.
Most local pharmacies can also help you with quitting smoking.
- Get help and advice at DontBeThe1.tv
- Most current smokers in Greater Manchester regret ever starting and would like to be able to quit. The decision to quit for good is one that can all too often be delayed, with tragic consequences for some. The campaign replays the tragic impact that smoking is having on too many of our families.
We recognise that most smokers get hooked as teenagers on an addictive and heavily promoted product, at a time in their life when they don’t fully understand the addiction or the health risks.
Bury Lifestyle Service can offer support to stop smoking. To get in contact with them, click here.
Take the History Makers Survey and get involved in our massive conversation. What’s next is as much down to you as it is down to us. Have your say about making smoking history – it only takes a few moments
Who to contact
Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.
This page was last updated on: 25/10/2019