Safeguarding Adults And Safeguarding Adults Board
Safeguarding is defined as ‘protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.’ (Care Act guidance, chapter 14). Adult safeguarding is about preventing and responding to concerns of abuse, harm or neglect of adults.
Adult safeguarding duties apply to any adult who:
- Has care and support needs (irrespective of whether those needs are being supported by services), and
- Is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect, and
- Is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect, because of those needs.
- Additionally Local Authorities also now have safeguarding responibilities for carers.
Abuse is an act whether intentional or unintentional which harms an adult. Abuse can happen anywhere and be carried out by anyone and it can take many different forms. See the next page which explains a bit more about abuse categories and their possible indicators.
If you are suffering abuse or concerned about someone - please get in touch with the Customer Contact Centre on 0161 253 5151 or on 0161 253 6606 outside of these hours.Service available Mon - Fri 8.45am - 5.30pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Professionals please complete the "Adult Abuse Reporting Form" available as a download on this page.
Alternatively, if there is a concern or query about a child or young person (under 18), please contact Bury Council children’s services on 0161 253 5678 during office hours or 0161 253 6606 outside normal office hours or email email@example.com.
Bury Safeguarding Adults Board
The Board is an independent board and does not formally report to any other body. However, the Board is accountable for ensuring structures are in place to deliver effective adult safeguarding in Bury. The Board is made up of senior representatives from many different organisations and has 3 core duties:
1) To develop and publish a "strategic plan".
2) Publish an annual report
3) Commission Safeguarding Adult Reviews or SAR's where, for example, an at risk adult either dies or is seriously injured as a result of abuse or neglect.
Relevent Information relating to the Board is available in "downloads" on this page. If you would like to contact the Board please ring Bury Council Strategic Safeguarding Team on 0161 253 7365.
Who to contact
Where to go
- BL9 0LT
- Age Ranges
- Referral Details
Anyone who has any concerns about a vulnerable adult. Referral via the Customer Contact Centre on 0161 253 5151. Agencies can also contact the Safeguarding Adults Strategic Team on 0161 253 7365 for advice and support.
Bury Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer here.
This page was last updated on: 08/03/2019